06, Jun 2023
A primary care physician, also known as a family doctor, is a doctor who specializes in treating a wide range of medical conditions and illnesses. Primary care physicians provide care for you and your family throughout your lifetimes, typically focusing on diligent preventive care as well as implementing early detection and treatment for illnesses. They are usually the first point of contact when you become ill or need medical advice. They specialize in treating individuals of all ages, from infants to seniors. Primary care physicians take a holistic, comprehensive approach to health care, and treat a wide range of illnesses and diseases, from minor colds to more serious conditions.
Some Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Primary Care Physician in Melbourne FL
1. What type of medical license do you hold?
2. How long have you been practicing medicine?
3. What is your experience with diagnosing and treating common conditions?
4. Are you affiliated with a hospital or healthcare system?
5. Do you accept my insurance plan?
6. Are you able to provide referrals to specialists when needed?
7. Do you have same-day appointments available for urgent issues?
8. Do you offer virtual visits?
9. Are you currently accepting new patients?
10. How do you handle after-hours care?
11. Do you offer on-site lab services?
12. What is your approach to preventive care and wellness?
13. Are you comfortable treating patients from different cultural backgrounds?
14. What telehealth options do you offer?
15. What is your experience in treating elderly patients?
16. What is your approach to prescribing medication?
17. Do you provide dietary and nutrition guidance?
18. Can I contact you with follow-up questions during and after office visits?
19. Do you offer in-person follow-up visits?
20. Are there any special services or amenities available for your patients?
21. Do you have a policy for after-hours patient calls?
22. Are there any language barriers or cultural differences of which I should be aware?
23. Do you have convenient office hours?
24. What online services are available for my medical records?
25. Do you accept walk-in appointments?
Choosing the right primary care physician in Melbourne FL is an important process that requires research and thoughtful consideration. In order to make a well-informed decision, you should get answers to all of these questions before making your final decision. Understanding the qualifications and experience of the physician, as well as what services they offer, can help you determine if they are the best match for your needs.
Dr. Sue Mitra and her staff strive to offer their patients the best care, advice and services available in the medical field with the goal to keep patient healthy & happy.
Dr. Sue Mitra is board certified in international medicine. She is seen here with a Cologuard, which is a noninvasive colon cancer screening test. (Photo by: Tim Shortt/Florida Today)